Samsung’s heir is sentenced to two and a half years in prison

Samsung’s heir is sentenced to two and a half years in prison

Today, Monday, a South Korean Supreme Court ruled on Samsung’s heir, Lee Jae Young. Lee Jae Yong, Was imprisoned for two years and six months for bribery.

Lee Lee was convicted by the Seoul High Court of bribing former president (Park Geun-hye) and her aide to obtain government support for a merger between two Samsung companies, which further increased his control over the conglomerate.

And Lee served as the de facto president For a company Samsung Electronics and its Vice Chairman since 2014, andThe judgment is likely to have repercussions for his future role in the tech giant.

Samsung’s heir took over the leadership of the company in 2014 when his father (Lee Kun-hee) was hospitalized for a heart attack in 2014, who passed away in October 2020, but the presidency he held has not been formally filled yet.

Lee was jailed for the first time in 2017 for bribing one of Park’s associates, but the sentence was commuted and suspended on appeal before a retrial was issued.

For years, Li faced legal troubles, even as he was on the cusp of becoming a leader of a global tech giant.

He was arrested for the first time in February 2017 for his alleged role in a political scandal linked to the then president of South Korea, Park Geun-hye.

Samsung has been accused of paying $ 37.7 million to two non-profits run by Choi Soon-sil, a friend of Park Geun-hye, in exchange for political support.

The perks were alleged to include support for Samsung’s controversial merger that paved the way for Lee to become de facto head of the group, a deal that needs support from the government-run National Pension Fund.

The charges against me included bribery, embezzlement, concealment of assets abroad, and perjury, He denied Samsung These charges.

He admitted making a donation but denied that Samsung wanted anything in return.

In August 2017, a local court convicted him of the charges against him and imprisoned him for five years.

In February 2018, the sentence was halved, and the Seoul High Court decided to suspend the prison sentence after an appeals court issued a suspended sentence of two and a half years in prison.

The Supreme Court then returned the case to the Seoul Supreme Court, which issued its verdict on Monday of two years and six months in prison, as Lee was arrested after the hearing to begin the prison sentence.

Leave a Reply